Hurricane Pet Preparedness
Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30. Floridians should be sure to have a preparedness plan in place for your entire family – including your pets.
Preparation in the event of an emergency will help keep your mind at ease, especially if you need to evacuate quickly. Do not leave your pets behind! If it is not safe for you, it is not safe for your pets. Remember, not all shelters accept pets. Contact your veterinarian or local shelter for a list of facilities. You can also preplan by identifying hotels that are pet-friendly.
Another way to plan ahead is to make sure your family supply kit or “evac-pac” is pet-friendly.
Prepare Emergency Supply Kit
- 7 days of food and bottled water
- Food and water bowls
- Copies of medical records
- Contact information for veterinarian
- ID tags (make sure your pet’s microchip information is up-to-date)
- First aid kit with pet supplies
- Toys and chews
- Extra collar and leash
- Clean up supplies and plastic bags
- Recent photo (in case you get separated and need to make lost posters/posts online)